Tuesday 10 March 2009

Help Required. Apply Within

Oh Cock it!!

I've got the start of a cold!! 5 effing days before Fleet and I've woken up with a sore throat, crappy cough and slightly snotty. It started last night but was hoping a good night sleep would sort it. It hasn't! It's only the start of it so I think I can push it back again but I need some advice from the runners out there please.

I'm already taking a lot of Vit C in various forms but I think I should do more. I'll buy some Echinacea at lunchtime. But anything else? Foods, drinks, should I do another short run on Thursday or just leave it now until Sunday.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, my run was awful last night. Ran out of puff, had no energy and ended up walking! Arse!!! This isn't the preparation I was after!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, there's a bit in "Runners World" this month about running with a cold... basically it says that if the symptoms are "above the neck" (headache, sore throat, snotty nose) then it's still OK to run at about 75% capacity. Chesty coughs and achy limbs mean you should avoid running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I'm only 50% runner anyway?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's a cold don't panic. If you look after yourself, keep yourself warm, don't try to exercise (training at this late stage will not make any difference, drink lots of fluid (honey, lemon and whisky works quite well. You will probably be fine by Sunday.

    However if it is a chest infection be very careful. There is always another race

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the help. At the moment it's centred purely on my throat so hopefully by Sunday it would have clear up well enough for me to run. I'll make the decision Sunday Morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it clears up very soon. Sitting next to GB (Grumpy Bear) isn't fun when his throat hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you maloy. It's been a pleasure sitting next to you while you have sneezed, coughed, sniffed and blown your nose at your desk for the last week. If only I could work out where this cold game from...

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's not too late, then as HK says (he beat me to Eatingtrees for comments too...must be quicker off the mark!), don't run on Thursday. Onions are my cold theory, but they don't work. Nothing does. Just rest, hope it clears enough to run, and be prepared for a slog of a struggle. Do you want to run more than regret not? If so, you're probably well enough to give it a go!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete