Monday 16 November 2009

Playing in the puddles

The sun was shining and it was lovely and cool so yesterday afternoon, we joined the hoards of mums, dads, children, grandparents and young couples who were dressed in their hats, coats and wellies to go and play in the puddles around Wimbledon Common. Unfortunately, we didn't get the memo and were dressed in shorts, t-shirts and in LG's case, VERY white running trainers. The weren't white for very long. I think you can tell how focussed people are in their running by whether they try and hop, skip and jump over the puddles and therefore are slowing down and risking a slip or if they just aim to miss the majority of them in a rough straight line and if they catch the edge them then it doesn't matter as trainers dry when put on a radiator! We were, as we should be, squarely in the second camp and had the wet socks to prove it.

I ran to the windmill with LG at her pace and completed the 1.32 miles in 13:33 which is a good pace for LG at 10:15 m/m. At that point, LG turned and headed home and I carried on to the golf course at a slightly higher pace. I didn't know that speed I was running at but it felt comfortable and once I'd finished, I felt I could have gone on so I was quite pleased with the final 2.82 miles as it came in at 8:40 pace. Nearly 40 mins of solid running without stopping after a 4 week break is a good thing to know. Most important part of the entire thing though.... I loved being out again so whatever I've lost in stamina in the last 4 weeks, it's good to actually WANT to run again! Next ones are planned for Wednesday and then Saturday while we're in Rotterdam and I can't wait!

Lovely Girlfriend's stats
2.5 miles run in a time of 25:45. That's another half mile added to last week's distance, and at a faster pace than last week's. Signs of improvement already. I'll have her signed up for Lisbon in no time!

1 comment:

  1. I used to run through the puddles on a long run to cool my feet down.

    ReplyDelete